Ironically, that is the one line Soren and I both recalled from a Jazz Club, as we ate and drank our way through New Orleans. It was an ideal winter break. Warmer than Chicago, incredible food..and the fact that you can drink on the street is a bonus.
Here's a great three day itinerary for anyone interested in making the trip...and also a reminder for ourselves if we ever make it back. Warning: You will feel bloated and hungover by Day 4.
Day 1 – Arrive; Drinks at LeBooze on Bourbon St; Dinner at Bourbon House (Oysters Rockefeller, Bienville and Fonseca); Drinks at various bars on Bourbon St - beers, jazz, beers, jazz, horrible drink called hand grenade, fried shrimp night cap
Day 2 – Self guided walking tour of French Quarter; Split a po’boy from Gene’s; walk around French Market & Jackson square; lunch at Napoleon House (muffuletta, gumbo); street car to Garden District; drinks at The Columns Hotel; dinner at Felix's Oyster House; Hurricanes at Pat O’Briens; Beers, beers, 3 for 1 beers, "Journey" cover bands,….dancing I think?
Day 3 – Headache. Mother’s for breakfast; Shopping; Street car to U.S. Mint and Art museum; Coffee and beignets (fried dough with powdered sugar too yummy to explain--see pic below) at Café Du Monde; Nap; Dinner at Jacques-Imo’s (more oysters, étouffée, bouillabaisse)
Phew. I feel like I just gained another 5 lbs writing about it.
While we were gone, Jack had a super time with Nana and Papa Glynn (Jack changed my dad's name from Grandpa to Papa in the past few weeks). He seemed unimpressed with our return and was wandering around this morning looking for Nana and Papa--perhaps we still smelled like booze and seafood? Here he is in his hat and bead souveniers
4 comments:
New Orleans is a WONDERFUL place to visit. I must admit that, we too, over-indulged when we were there. One of my favorite memories is having a drink while listening to live music at 10:30 on a Tuesday morning. I turned to Uncle Kevin and told him that he could pick me up when it was time to leave for the airport. I didn't want to leave.
As you were naming all the places you went, it brought back great memories.
Glad you had a good time - and welcome home.
What an awesome getaway! Love the food + drink narrative. And I forgive you for not bringing me home a case of Cafe Du Monde coffee.
I love Jack's hat. Sounds like you had a great time.
Sounds like a wonderful trip. While you were gone, I had the honor of dining with Jackson one morning. He was very cute.. loved his fruit, cheewios, and even had some bacon and sausage. (Didn't like the pineapple so much.) He pretended to talk to Poppa on Uncle Jim Kam's cell phone, pointed out the cars and trucks out the window, and said our names to impress us. He was adorable and I really enjoyed spending the time with him and his Nana, who is easily catching on to this baby thing again.
I loved the pictures and the entry.. once again. I especially loved Jack's new hat!!! What fun!
Love you guys!
Post a Comment